I’m not a House Assistant knowledgeable, but it surely’s clearly an enormous and highly effective ecosystem. I’ve interviewed the creator of House Assistant on my podcast and I encourage you to take a look at that chat.
House Assistant can shortly turn out to be a interest that overwhelms you. Each object (entity) in your own home that’s even remotely related can turn out to be programmable. All the pieces. Even folks! You possibly can declare that any title:worth pair that (for instance) your telephone can expose will be consumable by House Assistant. Questions like “is Scott dwelling” or “what’s Scott’s telephone battery” will be related to Scott the Entity within the House Assistant Dashboard.
I used to be amazed on the gadgets/objects that House Assistant found that it might automate. Lights, remotes, Spotify, and extra. You may discover that any internally related gadget you’ve seemingly has an Integration out there.
Temperature, Gentle Standing, positive, that is straightforward House Automation. However integrations and third social gathering code may give you particulars like “Is the Residing Room darkish” or “is there movement within the driveway.” From these constructing blocks, you may then construct your personal IFTTT (If This Then That) automations, combining not simply two techniques, however any and all disparate techniques.
What’s one of the best half? This all runs LOCALLY. Not in a cloud or the cloud or anybody’s cloud. I’ve received my stuff working on a Raspberry Pi 4. Even higher I put a Energy Over Ethernet (PoE) hat on my Rpi so I’ve only one community wire into my hub that powers the Pi.
I consider establishing House Assistant on a Pi is one of the best and best option to get began. That mentioned, it’s also possible to run in a Docker Container, on a Synology or different NAS, or simply on Home windows or Mac within the background. It is as much as you. Optionally, you may pay Nabu Casa $5 for distant (outdoors your own home) community entry through clear forwarding. However to be clear, all of it nonetheless runs inside your own home and never within the cloud.
OK, to the primary level. I used to have an Amazon Ring Doorbell that might combine with Amazon Alexa and once you pressed the doorbell it might say “Somebody is on the entrance door” on our all Alexas. It was a stunning little integration that labored properly in our lives.
Nonetheless, I swapped out the Ring for a Unifi Shield G4 Doorbell for various causes. I do not wish to pump video to outdoors providers, so this doorbell integrates properly with my current Unifi set up and data video to a neighborhood exhausting drive. Nonetheless, I lose any Alexa integration and this good little “somebody is on the door” announcement. So this looks as if an ideal job for House Assistant.
Here is the overall todo record:
- Set up House Assistant
- Set up House Assistant Neighborhood Retailer
- This permits third social gathering “untrusted” integrations immediately from GitHub. You may want a GitHub account and it will clone customized integrations immediately into your native HA.
- I additionally suggest the Terminal & SSH (9.2.2), File editor (5.3.3) add ons so you may see what’s occurring.
- Get the UniFi Shield third social gathering integration for House Assistant
- NOTE: Unifi Shield help is being promoted in House Assistant v2022.2 so you will not want this step quickly because it’ll be included.
- “The UniFi Shield Integration provides help for retrieving Digicam feeds and Sensor information from a UniFi Shield set up on both an Ubiquiti CloudKey+, Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine Professional or UniFi Shield Community Video Recorder.”
- Authenticate and configure this integration.
- Get the Alexa Media Participant integration
- This makes all of your Alexas present up in House Assistant as “media gamers” and likewise means that you can tts (textual content to speech) to them.
- Authenticate and configure this integration.
I like to recommend going into your Alexa app and making a Multi-room Speaker Group known as “in every single place.” Not solely as a result of it is good to have the ability to say “play the music in every single place” however it’s also possible to goal that “In all places” group in House Assistant.
service: notify.alexa_media_everywhere information: message: Somebody is on the entrance door, this can be a take a look at information: kind: announce technique: communicate
If that works, you realize you may automate Alexa and make it say issues. Now, go to Configuration, Automation, and Add a brand new Automation. Here is mine. I used the UI to create it. Notice that your Entity names could also be completely different in case you give your entrance doorbell digital camera a special title.
Discover the format of Knowledge, it is title worth pairs inside a single discipline’s worth.
…but it surely additionally exists in a file known as Automations.yaml. Notice that the “to: ‘on'” set off is required otherwise you’ll get double bulletins, one for every state change within the doorbell.
- id: '1640995128073' alias: G4 Doorbell Announcement with Alexa description: G4 Doorbell Announcement with Alexa set off: - platform: state entity_id: binary_sensor.front_door_doorbell to: 'on' situation:  motion: - service: notify.alexa_media_everywhere information: information: kind: announce technique: communicate message: Somebody is on the entrance door mode: single
It really works! There is a ton of cool stuff I can automate now!
Sponsor: Make login Auth0’s downside. Not yours. Present the handy login options your clients need, like social login, multi-factor authentication, single sign-on, passwordless, and extra. Get began without spending a dime.